Repository navigation
Intl #238
Description
Activity
/cc @srl295
By the way:
Then there's our impending 1.0.0-alpha release. I'd really like to see the Intl changes land in io.js ASAP so we can get them properly tested in our CI and be part of our initial release.
This is the case after yesterday's merge in commit 94e1475.
put on the v1.0.0 milestone as this needs a final decision, we didn't get much TC engagement in the last meeting on this and I want to be sure we want to go live with 1.0.0 without even small-icu
I want to be sure we want to go live with 1.0.0 without even small-icu
+1 from me. Intl is a nice-to-have at this point, not a blocker.
going to cross this off the list for the purposes of 1.0.0 now, confirmation from @bnoordhuis and @piscisaureus is enough for me (particularly given that they are the ESL members of the TC)
Just my two cents - we should postpone this and discuss how we want to integrate with Intl more thoroughly. Shipping with
small-icuwhich, afaik, is equivalent to ship the full API but with just English support, doesn't bring anything special to the table to 1.0.0. @rvagg shouldn't this be re-added to the next tc-agenda (after 1.0.0)?@ruimarinho perhaps, if you feel it important enough then you could remind us prior to a TC meeting, I'm not going to label it right now
I have no idea if this will be helpful to anyone (seems like maintains are very much aware of this), but I'm currently working on a PR for testing Intl support on Kangax's Compat Table.
We have a standing item to try and get @srl295 on to a TC meeting to discuss this in more depth, I'll keep chipping away at him and we may get him to agree some time! The main concerns are about packing size and @piscisaureus has been doing some work on that too.
@rvagg yes and - as to size - faq entry and my nodesummit presentation discusses some. .. i'm working on some other PRs around the data packaging and docs also.
@rvagg hi, was any of the above related to your questions?
wasn't so much me that had questions, the TC is likely to remain a -0 on bundling Intl support for the moment because of concerns about size
27 remaining items
@silverwind : yeah, this was discussed on the last tsc call. @srl295 and I have the action to get that PR put together. Realistically it'll be early to mid next week.
- addedbuildIssues and PRs related to Node.js builds or CI infrastructure.Issues and PRs related to Node.js builds or CI infrastructure.
on Jul 20, 2015 porting to io.js's master
@silverwind yes my issue for doing that is #26 and I"m working on doing exactly that
- addedi18n-apiIssues and PRs related to Node.js internationalization support.Issues and PRs related to Node.js internationalization support.
on Aug 10, 2015 As I understand it, this specific issue should be closed when #2264 lands. Please let me know if anyone understands differently.
- added a commit that references this issue
on Aug 13, 2015 Landed in 2781333
Postscript: ICU upstream is going to adopt a plaintext license as formatted for node. http://bugs.icu-project.org/trac/ticket/12037
@srl295 +1
- added a commit that references this issue
on May 11, 2026
This has landed in joyent/node from what I understand and from nodejs/node-v0.x-archive#7676 (comment) it seems that we may be adjusting builds to do
./configure --with-intl=small-icuandvcbuild.bat small-icuif we are to stay in step.As far as I know @piscisaureus has been the only one to raise objections to the way Intl is being handled, specifically with regard to the download step and increase in binary size even with
small-icu. Is there anything we need to discuss here or is that a discussion for joyent/node and we're just going to follow along?Then there's our impending 1.0.0-alpha release. I'd really like to see the Intl changes land in io.js ASAP so we can get them properly tested in our CI and be part of our initial release. Then we just have to agree about the build configuration for release.
small-icuis enabled for releases and what we enable for general CI builds